I quit counting the days months ago as events became too spontaneous,
survival changes men into monsters, their behavior turns raw and alien.
Our plane crashed and only eight survived, twenty nine burned dead or alive,
and slowly we lost our minds, across time sanity stretched and declined.
This is our story... every detail from beginning to deprived...

I wake up to the wreckage, the burning smog of flesh, plastic and wiring,
the echoes of screams as teens struggle to address the tragic spiraling.
Dave removes debris from my knees, grabs my hand and pulls me up,
"help, please, I can't get everybody on my own and the fires spreading from above.
If we don't get everyone out, they'll die and there'll only be the two of us!"
I wipe my eyes and begin to help who I can, like Jeff, a piece of window in his shoulder,
ripping it out and rolling him over a woman's body, distracted by the fact we didn't know her.
"Hey! Get yourself together, man! We can't help the dead so focus on those still breathing!"
I continue leading Jeff towards a hole in the plane where sunlight is seen beaming.
In the corner of my vision I see Daniel reaching, the snack cart across his chest,
I push it aside with the help of Jeff, and the three of us hurry to rescue the rest.
Robert and Bryan carry Tiffany through the exit, while Dave has Sarah in both arms,
she keeps mumbling the same question, we all know the answer but have no heart...

"What happened?"

We couldn't fathom in that moment as the shock still controlled our nerves,
grabbing luggage from the wreckage, desperate for warm clothes or percs.
Antidepressants or antibiotics, anything for the coming struggles,
and we're in trouble if we can't manage to find food in the bloody rubble.
"Does anyone know how to hunt or scavenge? If not, then we're totally fucked."
Dave begins to look through baggage like a rabid dog, the tension boiling up.
No luck besides a couple bottles of Tylenol, three sodas and some oily nuts.
Jeff finds the first aid but his words make no sense, I notice it's only rust.
"A plane with outdated supplies? Isn't that something worth mending?"
"Now that you mention it, the wings seemed faulty when we were ascending!"
"That's just paranoia, you're reaching for clues when there isn't a 'how'.
Our plane crashed and we're alive, so let's just pay attention to the 'now'."
Before an argument could revive, the sound of growling split through the crowd,
petrified, staring at the ground, afraid of what we'd see if we looked around.

"Holy shit, are we about to die?!"

I adjusted my eyes to the sight of tracks hidden in the dirt, then turned towards the noise,
a pack of four or more in the trees, watching us like an audience looking for the choice.
To hunt, or to devour... whether we're dinner, or just a sport... I attempt to discover my voice,
"whatever you do, don't run, they're quicker and you'll just suffer from a lot of teeth!"
I muster the thought loud enough for the others to ponder, one wolf wanders from the trees.
"Do. Not. Scream." Bryan covers Tiffany's mouth as she breathes heavily from her nose,
Sarah, still delusional on her knees, while the others contemplate how to exterminate our foes.
Another wolf, pale as a ghost, lunges towards a corpse close to the forest,
feasting on it right there as if to taunt us, the snapping of joints was morbid.
Our eyes met as it tore into muscle and ligaments like chunks of rotting porridge,
Sarah's sobbing chorus caught the interest of a young cub crawling toward us.
The overall feeling is hopeless, we notice nothing within reach to use as a weapon,
if the God's are sending a message, then the lesson certainly isn't one to mess with.
The pup snarls it's teeth, ready to leap at Tiffany and Bryan at any second,
and just as it launches an attack, Dave catches it midair, leaving everyone breathless.
He continues to stab it with steel from the wreckage, I watch the pack whine and howl,
they want to attack but prowl nervously from the safety of their distant growls.
He rips the wolf's heart out, displaying it for the pack with splattered blood on his mouth,
the pack scurries away, and we all shift our gaze to tonight's dinner bleeding on the ground.

To be continued...